“When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford”
Samuel Johnson (English Poet, Critic and Writer. 1709-1784)




Friday 8 January 2010

limits of reason

i'm still thinking and trying to understand why a jim jarmush film with great actors can be so void of meaning and so boring.

or maybe it's just me. and i hope that is the case. or maybe i shouldn't say anything.

Are you interested in films, by any chance? I like really old films. You can really see what the world looked like, thirty, fifty, a hundred years ago. You know the clothes, the telephones, the trains, the way people smoked cigarettes, the little details of life. The best films are like dreams you're never sure you've really had. I have this image in my head of a room full of sand. And a bird flies towards me, and dips its wing into the sand. And I honestly have no idea whether this image came from a dream, or a film. Sometimes I like it in films when people just sit there, not saying anything.

No comments: